Saturday, February 8, 2014

Castles, Dungeons but no Dragons

Today I walked on grounds where kings, queens, princes and princesses walked before me- centuries ago.

My friends and I visited the Chateaux de St Germain - a royal palace in the Yvelines department- where all of France's kings resided. But according to the visitor's guide, they only lived in the Royal Palace during the sunny days of the year, and then go back to their other castles when the weather was too bad. You know, normal royal people stuff.

The Palace was stunning and a massive structure. It was almost surreal to be standing inside and getting around the place. It now serves as an archaeological museum and its once courtyard is now a public park.



Fire Place ;) 
My heart pounded with curiosity as I entered each room; their arches, enormous windows, the every detail in each center ceiling crest and doorways exhilarated me. There was something sensual about the King's king-sized fireplace. Was this where he would seduce his queen? Or his mistresses?

Would I have enjoyed that? I think maybe yes.

Moving on ...

We strolled outside to the courtyard, and dazed at the scenery of it all. Even thought it's winter and the weather looks depressed- it was beautiful. I bet even the hundreds of servants would forget about a hard day's struggle and take a few minutes to gaze at the horizon of mountains, trees, French earth. The immensity of the Kingdom was that of a fairy-tale book.


Again, the imaginative spirit took me away to centuries back and I smiled as I saw myself in my medieval corset dress- emerald green with gold velvet drapes and golden thread work - strolling in the courtyard overseeing the gardening peasants and having them take the red roses to my headquarters.


Yes, I would've been one of those princesses.
I would've had a gigantic library filled with fiction books and art pieces of my personal private painters. The king would have made for me giant pillows of my favorite color linen and engraved on them stones of the rarest kind- all just for me. (Yes, Ive given this a lot of thought)
 We came across the edge of the courtyard terrace overlooking Paris and what used to be the kingdom's plantations. There were seats along the edge and it wasn't clear to me if they had existed in the days of your majesty or put there for the convenience of tired tourists (the place is HUGE).  Regardless, I bet the princesses had their romantic getaways and mischievous acts of love here. I bet it is an awful romantic place to visit in the spring- when the flowers are all over the park and courtyard and the majestic fountains are turned on. I'm not a princess but I spent the day inside a castle. Not a princess but I had my royal getaway.